Job Title: Engineering/Survey Cad Specialist
Req ID: 11543
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 12/20/2020
As a member of the Geospatial Solutions team, the candidate will produce Topographic Plans and Contract Drawings using Microstation Connect and Open Roads, prepare Reference Plans, Plans of Surveys, As-Built drawings, conduct volumetric surveys and other mapping required for Capital Works projects.
Due to Covid-19, most of our offices are currently closed to protect the health and safety of our employees, clients and community. As such, this position will be required to work remotely for an undetermined period. Once our offices re-open you will report to 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Perform all aspects of GIS/CAD activities associated with collecting, creating, managing, mapping, editing and analyzing spatial data.
• Import and process field data through Trimble Business Centre, Microstation Connect and OpenRoads to create Topographic Plans, Volumetrics, Reference Plans and Plans of Survey.
• Conduct filed checks and inspections
• Co-ordinate and produce all facets of Capital Works project design drawings including (but not limited to) road re-surfacing, new right-of-way and road design, multi-use trails, using Microstation Connect and OpenRoads Designer.
• Prepare co-ordinate files for construction layout.
• Prepare and assemble Contract Drawings for Capital Works projects.
• Scan, index and summarize digital drawings into a corporate database.
• Work in ArcGIS Pro environment to assist with Asset Management.
• Maintain various indices related to cadastral records.
• Identify and perform quality assurance and control on GIS data and applications.
2. Ensure the technical development, access, deployment, programming, monitoring, and administrative support for the GIS and related applications.
• Maintain, assess and assist in developing CAD standards and Standard Operating Procedures for the City as related to Capital Works and Cadastral projects.
• Develop and maintain corporate standard templates, configurations and best practices in OpenRoads Designer for all corporate users.
• Ensure smooth data and design file transition from existing InRoads projects and standards to OpenRoads Designer.
• Identify when existing practices in business and operational processes in the Corporation are no longer sufficient or productive, and offer creative solutions based on statistical analyses and evaluations.
• Design, test, implement and document strategies / scenarios for new systems / applications / modules to be developed.
3. Respond to Capital Works work requests and provide Mapping Subject Matter Expertise for Capital Works projects. Provide direction and guidance on the use of GIS/CAD applications and analyses for process improvements, decision support, usability and accessibility.
• Liaise with other sections, departments and the public to provide or collect information. Most notably these include interacting with the survey field crews and internal clients.
• Identify user requirements, conduct analyses and develop solution based on needs assessments and the specifications defined in conjunction with the end user.
• Provide timely communication and act as the ongoing liaison with clients.
• Coordinate third party activities, ensuring standards, policies and procedures are followed, monitoring compliance with requirements set out under the contract, maintaining records and providing reports on progress and issues.
• Investigate business problems, analyzing optional solutions and creating recommendations.
4. Assist in the preparation of presentation and technical materials for public / internal meetings, training, conferences, and requests for proposal.
• Participate in hardware/software reviews, evaluations, specification writing, selection, implementation and technical support of GIS solutions.
• Produce documentation, training material and conducts sessions on GIS applications and operating procedures for internal and external users.
• Develop/ review documentation for quality assurance on workflow processes automated by Geospatial Solutions.
Skills and Qualifications
• Undergraduate Degree and a Certificate or Diploma in Civil Engineering or related discipline supplemented by a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Expertise in development and understanding of Topographic Surveys, DTMs, Volumetrics and Underground Utility Information.
• Expertise in Capital Design and Civil Engineering practices.
• Expertise in Cadastral Surveying.
• From Field to Office must have at least 2 years of experience working with with Trimble Business Centre, Microstation Connect and OpenRoads/InRoads software to create CAD products.
• Skilled in GIS map production, working with geoprocessing models, topology, spatial analysis, spatial database design, spatial database standards, systems integration and associated software, specifically ESRI & Microsoft products.
• Strong understanding of relational databases, geodatabase development and creating linkages to other systems.
• Strong knowledge and experience of municipal government operations and practices.
• Ability to provide Survey/ CAD/GIS consultation and advice at a professional level.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Preferred OACETT designation as C.E.T. or GISP
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 70,848.00 - $ 94,467.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/IT Division , Digital Services
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.