Professional membership in the Association requires completion of a baccalaureate level program in professional surveying (often referred to as Geomatics), approved by the Association’s Academic and Experience Requirements Committee (AERC), or a course that is in the opinion of the AERC equal in content and level of difficulty, or experience and knowledge that provides equivalent competencies to such an academic program. For a detailed description of the AOLS academic requirements please click here. See Programs for detail on existing professional surveying programs in Canada
For an academic evaluation to be undertaken, we require the following:
- payment of the $339.00 ($300 + HST) fee. We accept cheques, Visa or MasterCard; Note: A convenience fee of 3% of the total amount will be charged for credit card payments.
- a cover letter sample
- Completed Academic Evaluation Application Form
- your detailed résumé
- an official transcript forwarded directly from each educational institution (If this is not possible you may bring your original documents to the AOLS office to be copied)
- detailed course descriptions, in English; and,
- any other supporting information - academic or experience related - that may support your evaluation.
Academic Evaluations are processed at each AERC meeting which take place four times a year in January, April, July and October. All documentation must be submitted one month preceding the next AERC meeting.
Once your application is assessed you will be provided with a letter describing any outstanding academic requirements. Remaining courses can be completed at York University, Ryerson University, through the AOLS and other academic institutions approved by the Registrar.