Professional membership in the Association requires completion of a baccalaureate-level program in professional surveying (often referred to as Geomatics), approved by the Association’s Academic and Experience Requirements Committee (AERC), or a course that is in the opinion of the AERC equal in content and level of difficulty, or experience and knowledge that provides equivalent competencies to such an academic program.
This is followed by a term of articles of up to 1-1/2 years during which applicants work for an Ontario Land Surveyor to gain practical experience. A professional entrance examination must be successfully completed at the end of articles.
It is also possible to become an Associate member. To qualify for an Associate Membership you must be:
- A person, who is enrolled in a post secondary school course in professional land surveying;
- A party to Articles of Agreement with a member of the Association; or
- Employed in, retired from or aligned with the practice of professional land surveying
Associate Membership entitles you to:
- Reduced costs to attend the AOLS AGM
- Reduced costs to attend Continuing Education Seminars
- The Ontario Professional Surveyor magazine and other mailings
Access to publications, videos and the AOLS library
- Information about industry events
- Join Regional Groups
- Receive general information issued by the Association and to attend meetings of the Association, but are not entitled to vote at meetings.
The Associate Membership year runs from July 1st to June 30th of the following year. Applications received between December and June will be prorated for a 1/2 year.